What is a hookah bowl?
A hookah bowl is the part of a hookah that holds the shisha and where the charcoal sits atop. The bowl is a crucial component of a hookah and affects the overall smoking experience. This is because the material, size, and shape of the bowl can affect the performance of the tobacco when heated. For example, a deep bowl will hold more tobacco and provide longer hookah sessions. Different bowl materials can also make a difference in retaining heat. Another factor that affects the smoking experience is how the shisha is packed into the bowl. A dense pack for dark-leaf tobacco favors phunnel style bowls versus a light pack with blonde-leaf tobacco that works great in any type of hookah bowl.
What is a hookah bowl made of?
Hookah bowls come in a variety of materials, each of which offers different advantages and disadvantages. The most common materials used are ceramic, glass, silicone, clay, and aluminum:
- - Ceramic bowls: These are known for their heat retention capabilities and are generally considered the preferred material. Ceramic bowls are very durable and heat-resistant, but they can be prone to “char” after several uses.
- - Glass bowls: Glass bowls are both visually appealing and easy to clean. However, as with any glass object they are more susceptible to cracks or breakage with improper care.
- - Silicone bowls: Silicone is a heat-resistant material. It's soft, flexible, and non-stick for easy clean-up. These types of bowls do not require a grommet to make a good connection to the bowl stem which allows for a good seal every time.
- - Clay bowls: Clay bowls are the oldest type of hookah bowl and they are especially porous. This can make them difficult to clean after many uses, but they are the most commonly found bowl as they are generally included in most hookah packages.
- - Aluminum bowls: This material is lightweight and heats up quickly. Because of this feature, you may find that fewer pieces of charcoal are needed per bowl.
Ultimately, the material that you choose for your hookah bowl depends on your preferences.
Are there different types of hookah bowls?
There are many different types of bowls, but the most common are the Egyptian and phunnel style bowls. The Egyptian bowl, or the traditional bowl, is the simplest type of bowl. It's a cone-shaped bowl with several small holes in the bottom center. The smoke passes through the holes in the center and into the stem. Phunnel style bowls are the most popular type of bowl. They are generally wider and more shallow with a center spire that has one main intake hole. This style of phunnel bowl helps prevent excess molasses and tobacco leaves from entering your hookah stem and base.
Which bowl is best for hookah?
When choosing the best bowl for a hookah, you'll want to evaluate the different hookah bowl materials and styles as well as the type of tobacco you enjoy smoking. Thankfully, you can shop by material on our website and choose from our wide variety of hookah bowls to level up your smoke sessions.